If you have an emergency, the first thing you should do is to try to remain calm! Assess your pet for signs and symptoms and give us a call. We are equipped to handle most emergencies, but if your pet has an emergency that we cannot handle, we can stabilize your pet and send you to get the appropriate treatment.
Some common symptoms that could be an emergency include the following. We recommend that you seek emergency care if your pet experiences any of these symptoms:
- Breathing difficulty
- Sudden and unexpected swelling of the abdomen
- Inability to pass urine or feces
- Excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- Any signs of heat stroke or overheating
- Prolonged seizures or repetitive seizures
- Excessive bleeding
- Excessively high or low temperature (higher than 104 degrees or under 100 degrees)
- Hit by a car
- Rattlesnake bite or suspected snake bite
- Porcupine quills
- Attacked by another animal
- Any injury to an eye
- Trauma such as deep wounds
- Obvious bone fractures
- Sustained an electrical shock
- Lost consciousness
- Prolonged delay in giving birth (going more than 3 – 4 hours between puppies or kittens)
- Experienced a fall from a height
These are some common emergencies, but this list does not contain every emergency possible. If you think your pet has an emergency, seek medical help as soon as possible. Please call us at (210) 695-4455 or one of the following emergency veterinary hospitals nearby.
Mission Veterinary Specialty and Emergency
8202 Loop 1604
San Antonio, TX 78249
Blue Pearl of Stone Oak
503 E. Sonterra Blvd #102
San Antonio, TX 78258
From Our Blog:
Ultrasound Imaging – Does My Pet Need This?
Ultrasound imaging is just one of the diagnostic tools known as medical imaging. Ultrasounds are becoming very common in veterinary medicine. They give us so much information! To answer the question of whether a pet needs an ultrasound we must first talk about what that is. The Description Diagnostic ultrasound imaging is a method that […]Read More
Cat Lovers Unite to Celebrate!
December is National Cat Lover’s Month. How great is it to have an entire month dedicated to those of us who love cats? I am proud to say that I am definitely in this camp. This is a very busy time of year but don’t forget to celebrate your feline friends this month. For this […]Read More